Many families travel long distances for their child's Vein of Galen Malformation (VOGM) treatment. In countries with private health care systems, treatment and travel costs add up quickly with or without health insurance. In countries with public health systems, many of the treatment and travel expenses are covered, but long hospital stays away from home can cause hardships with jobs and childcare for other children.
For those with extraordinary burdens, we want to help. Due to the tremendous cost associated with treatment, we cannot cover all expenses, but we can help. We will give gifts of $500 per family, and we currently have a lifetime cap of $1,000 per family. After the initial gift of $500, we may provide an additional gift of $500 for subsequent treatment or extended hospital stays. Families who have not received assistance previously will be given priority over families who have received a prior gift. The Board of Directors will vote on the additional $500 gift.
Gifts will be awarded on a first come first serve basis. If multiple qualifying applications are received simultaneously, and funds are limited, the gift will be given to those with the most need.
1. Fill out the application below.
2. You must be a member of one or more of the VOGM Facebook groups.
3. You must be an independent adult VOGM patient or the primary caregiver or guardian (who is responsible for any medical expenses) of a VOGM patient.
4. The VOGM patient must require an overnight stay of at least one night in a hospital or other treatment care facility due to treatment.
5. The services or travel must be intended for treatment. For example, most of our gifts will go to children undergoing embolizations. However, angiograms intended to include embolizations where an embolization was not completed will still qualify. Additionally, if treatment of VOGM complications require extended long distance care, it may qualify for a gift as well. Some proof of expenses will be required. You can submit airfare or other receipts to VOGMnetwork@gmail.com. If your request for the gift is based on the cost of treatment itself, filling out the application below is sufficient.
6. True financial need must be shown. This is not necessarily income based. However, things like missed work without paid leave, low insurance reimbursements, expensive plane tickets, etc. will be considered. If your insurance, public health care, or a crowdfunding campaign covers your expenses sufficiently, please do not apply. We would like to give to those who will not receive the help from other sources.
20 Bellevue Avenue, Bangor, Maine 04401, United States